Friday, July 11, 2008

The itch is coming back

I started knitting about 7 years ago. The feel of the fiber in my fingers, the clicking of the needles, watching fabric turn into garments, and the satisfaction of learning new stitches was so addictive. It didn't take me long before I was a self proclaimed knitting addict.

Then came along Blogging. What a perfect forum for me and others to rant about just about anything. Observing the world around me and sharing tidbits from my day with total strangers was so much fun. Blogging also offered me a place to archive and journal my knitting projects. Oh what wonderful creative outlets. Knitting and blogging became fun and healthy obsessions (well and expensive at times too... couldn't pass up a nice skein of yarn). My first blog was aptly titled Obsessed in Oakland. Check it out...

But then life, as it often does, got in the way. Well I guess I have to take the blame. Other obsessions like work, house renovations, and career simply took precedence. I guess you can call them life obsessions. Eventually, as you might have read, relocating to Seattle and starting a new job became priorities.

A year and a half later the old obsessions are reawakening. Blogging and knitting are on my mind practically on a daily basis. I'm hooked on Ravelry.com (thanks Mom), knitting a bit more (although I wish it was more frequently), have a queue of knitting projects waiting to start and 2 projects on needles. No longer can I claim to be a monogamous knitter. But that's okay, at least that old familiar tactile feeling is back in my hands.

Work has been taking up a lot of my time and I may not be knitting as often as I would like, but I'm proud to say that I am now happily Obsessed in Seattle.

BTW, if you're a knitter and you haven't stumbled upon Ravelry.com yet, you must have a look at the site. But be warned, it's addictive.

No comments: